Fish is one of the most delicious and favorable food but people are still shy to prepare this dish on their own. Everyone tends to enjoy the crispy and tender meat of fish but they find it difficult to cook it. On the other side, fish is so easy to be prepared. The easiest and most enjoyable way to get it ready is a pan-searing in various ways as fish can be cooked, grilled, steamed, fried, etc.
Here, pans for cooking fish play a vital role. We get a variety of pans depending upon, how we really want to enjoy our dish. Pan selection can not be ignored as it decides how do you sear the fish. So, we’ll have a discussion that which pan is best for searing the fish and how one should select it.
Some key factors of pans:
We can get a large variety of pans for cooking fish just to make sure how we enjoy our food. Every pan has got its name on basis of a few factors. You should consider these factors in choosing the pan. Pans can differ in case of material, budget, size, shape, etc. Let’s have a look at these factors.
Pans are of different shapes and it’s on you what type of pan you select. Most pans have either sloped sides or straight sides. The pan with sloped sides proves suitable for cooking fish as it makes sure that the whole filet is getting cooked. On the other hand, pans with straight sides are preferable to cook a large amount in one round.
Pans for cooking fish are of different sizes. Make sure that it is enough to comprise the filet you want to cook. Some are for a single filet and some pans can hold multiple filets. The suitable recommended size ranges from 9-12 inches.
Pans are available in different price ranges. You have to pay according to quality, size, shape, etc. High-quality pans demand more bills but you can also get even good quality at a fair price.
Material is considered as the most important factor in choosing pans for cooking fish. We can get pans in different materials. Each Material is specialized in its function. Here are some frequently used materials.
1: Stainless steel:
Stainless steel has always got popular due to its shine, durability, and quality. It has an impressive resistance against acidic objects and maintains the taste as well as flavor. But stainless steel always fails in heat distribution. Stainless steel cookware with clad layering ( sandwiched layering of stainless steel with aluminum) is always preferable.
Copper cookware is always been attractive and aesthetic. It is famous for its heat distribution but you have to pay a lot for its purchase as well as care. In negative aspects, the cookware requires proper polishing and metal can add to the taste when reacts with the acidic or alkaline nature of food.
Aluminum cookware has always been part of the kitchen due to its incredible heat distribution. Aluminum is a soft metal and needs proper care. Besides, it doesn’t have scratch resistance. Due to its low durability and acidic reactiveness, one has to suffer. While anodized aluminum is more reliable and durable but expensive.
Non-stick is always proffered due to its non-stick coating. As the name shows, it prevents the food to stick. It ensures the cooking and cleaning are easy and demands very low cooking oil. But one using this have to compromise on getting crispy food due to its non-stick nature. Non-sticks are of different coatings like ceramic, Teflon, or Painted with different colours.
5: cast iron:
Cast iron always standouts on the list when we talk about pans for cooking fish. Cast iron is a durable and naturally non-stick pan that distributes the heat evenly and flavors the fish. Talking about the downside, it is heavy in weight. Avoid using soap while washing as it can catch rust if its seasoning gets stripped off. One has to take care in cleaning by using hot water with a drop of dish wash. So, the enameled cast iron is preferred to get flavored food because it is easy to clean and prevents the cookware to get rust. Being porcelain coated it is acidic resistant.
Best 6 pans for cooking fish:
We get a variety of pans in this category but some are of great importance due to their quality and ability. Here, we’ll talk about the best 6 pans preferred for cooking fish.
1) All clad stainless steel 3 ply:
• All clad stainless steel tri-ply has always been a favorite to chefs due to its beauty and ultra durability.
• Tri-ply is named due to 2 layers of stainless steel sandwich with the aluminum layer in the center, which ensures the heat distribution evenly and searing the fish.
• Easy to clean.
• Available in 6 to 12 inches. Weighs 3.5 pounds
2) Cast iron skillet pan:
• Iron skillet is one of the well-known pans for cooking fish due to its quality.
• The enameled surface of the pan adds to its durability as well as maintains the taste in an acidic or alkaline environment.
• They stay hot for a long time and can hold up to 500 degrees.
• Iron skillet pans are long-lasting with rust resistivity.
• Inexpensive, easy to clean, convenient re-seasoning with just a cup of hot water.
• Ranges in 7 to 10 inches with a weight of 4-5 pounds.
3) Lodge cast iron square grill fish pan:
• One of the commonly used pans for searing the fish with all cast iron features.
• The grill ribs sear the fish with appetizing marks on the skin and collect the fish drippings in elevations.
• Provides a large surface enough to sear the multiple filets at a time.
• Comes with silicon handle.
• Weighs about 6.5 pounds with a size of 10.5 inches.
4) Lodge carbon steel skillet pan:
• A versatile fish cookware with carbon-coated steel.
• Pre-seasoned with soya bean oil. So, no need to use extra oil.
• Maintains the temperature very well saving the cooking time.
• Having a strong handle provides a better grip.
• Carbon steel surface doesn’t absorb the taste or flavor making it easy to wash.
• Weighs about 4 pounds with a size of 12 inches.
5) Cuisinart chef’s classic non-stick pan:
• Cuisinart chef provides us with perfect pans for cooking fish.
• Most Lightweight pan with nonstick surface guarantees perfect cooking.
• A large flat bottom with sloped sides provides a large cooking surface.
• Perfect for stove top as well as oven and easy to grip with silicon handle.
• Hard, rough outside makes it highly durable.
• Light weight of 1 pound with the size of 12 inches.
6) Tramontina professional non-stick frying pan:
• A trustworthy pan used by professionals in restaurants.
• Considered as one of the best pans for cooking fish.
• Satisfying performance with non-stick interior.
• Aluminium gauge traps the heat quickly.
• Silicon handle with solid rivets ensures user safety.
• Weighs about 3.6 inches with 12 inches in size.
READ MORE: Do you know about skin lesions?